[R] Solved: Communication in for() loop (Linux version)

Robert D. Bowers n4fbz at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Apr 17 18:56:22 CEST 2016

Thanks for the advice I've received.

FYI - It turns out that the problem was connected to the way R handles
pipes and FIFOs, compared to the way the socat command does.  (I don't
know exactly what, but trying different things solved it!)

I found that if you use FIFO() in R AND set up a FIFO connection in a
terminal and then use SOCAT to communicate, it becomes reliable (at
least for sending commands to a UDP connection).  I wasn't sure what
exactly a FIFO connection was like (not that much info), but it worked.

I'll try getting data FROM the UDP connection at another time.

Next - figure out how to build a multi-dimensional array i.e.
data(x,y,z...) with different-sized dimensions.  I've got a "system"
kludged together that does it (putting the data into a OpenOffice
spreadsheet), but I'd rather have R do the work.  That's this evening's
experimentation/lesson!

Bob