[R] It is possible to use "input parameters" with "standard error" in fitting function nls

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 00:21:12 CEST 2016

Unless there is good reason to do otherwise, you should cc the list to
allow others to provide perhaps better responses or to correct my
possible errors. I have done so here.

If your "parameter" is fixed in the modeling it cannot contribute to
the uncertainty of estimation of the remaining model parameters. It
would presumably contribute to the uncertainty in the fitted model,
however.

One approach to deal with the situation might be to combine the data
from your prior modeling and your current data and estimate *all*
parameters. Another might be to put appropriate priors on all your
model parameters -- including an informative prior on the one you
wanted to hold fixed, but won't -- and fit a full Bayesian model. Or
maybe hold hold it fixed and do some sort of propagation of errors
analysis. Or...

The point is that the approach you take depends on the details of what
you have and what your purpose is. You need to consult with a local
statistician for this. And, in any case, statistical questions are
generally OT here, and this appears to be a fairly complicated one.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."