[R] 0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Aug 30 19:00:42 CEST 2016

You did not say what operation gave you the error.

I can get that message (which is not an "error") if I print
an illegally constructed data.frame, one without the
row.names attribute.

> illegalDF <- structure(class="data.frame", list(ColumnA = 1:3))
> illegalDF
[1] ColumnA
<0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
> str(illegalDF)
'data.frame':   0 obs. of  1 variable:
 $ ColumnA: int  1 2 3

Note how str() of the entire data.frame indirectly informs you of the
problem: the number of observations does not match the length of the
columns.

How did you make the data.frame?

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software