[R] data manipulation

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 00:31:11 CET 2016

> On 18 Dec 2016, at 19:36 , David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 17, 2016, at 7:57 PM, Duncan Mackay <dulcalma at bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Coming late to the discussion  - I deleted the original message
>> I found that I have a cbe.dat that I downloaded some years ago from
>> cowpertwaite's site .
>>
>> And have attached it
>
> Experience has shown that when you attach a file that you hope to be distributed to the list it needs to have a .txt extension. Leaving it with a .csv, .tsv, or .dat extension will cause it to be dropped by the server, even if the contents of the file are ASCII text.

That's not the actual mechanism, as far as I understand. If the content-type is text/plain, the server will pass it through just fine. It's the mail program at the sender end that refuses to send .csv files and friends as text/plain, based on the extension. But the net result is essentially the same.

> The URL I offered earlier should have made the file available:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20130501161812/http://staff.elena.aut.ac.nz/Paul-Cowpertwait/ts/cbe.dat
>
> ... but if there is interest in having it in the Rhelp Archive, I can attach it.

Would be good if someone could ask the authors about what is going on. Better if someone could check licencing issues and put the data somewhere permanent. Still better: convert them to an R package.