[R] Recommendation for updating packages such as nlme

Frank Harrell f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue Feb 16 21:01:22 CET 2016

I use this function to update my installed R packages:

updatePac <- function (checkBuilt = FALSE, ...)
update.packages(repos = "http://cran.rstudio.com", instlib =
"/usr/local/lib/R/site-library",
     checkBuilt = checkBuilt, ...)

When I type updatePac() I get:

Warning: package 'MASS' in library '/usr/lib/R/library' will not be updated
Warning: package 'Matrix' in library '/usr/lib/R/library' will not be
updated
Warning: package 'mgcv' in library '/usr/lib/R/library' will not be updated
Warning: package 'nlme' in library '/usr/lib/R/library' will not be updated
Warning: package 'nnet' in library '/usr/lib/R/library' will not be updated
Warning: package 'spatial' in library '/usr/lib/R/library' will not be
updated

Should I not try to update recommended packages in
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library on my Ubuntu system but specify
/usr/lib/R/library instead?

Frank E Harrell Jr 	Professor and Chairman 	School of Medicine

	Department of *Biostatistics* 	*Vanderbilt University*

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]