[R] Recommendation for updating packages such as nlme

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Feb 16 21:53:46 CET 2016

Isn't /usr/local for software your sysadmin (you, when you wear that hat) have compiled, while /usr/lib is managed by the system package manager (apt-get for Ubuntu)?

FWIW I usually only manage my personal R library and ignore the system R library... I never specify instLib myself, and never run R as root. There might be advantages to specifying instLib, but I have not encountered them.