[R] png: cannot load any more object with static TLS

Samuel Meyer sam at mcneilco.com
Wed Feb 24 20:19:41 CET 2016

Hi all,

I have an issue running png after loading various packages. After running

library(drc)
library(RCurl)
library(XLConnect)
library(ROracle)
png("test.png")
dev.off()

The file fails to write, and I get

Warning messages:
1: In png("test.png") :
  unable to load shared object '/usr/lib64/R/library/grDevices/libs//cairo.so':
  dlopen: cannot load any more object with static TLS
2: In png("test.png") : failed to load cairo DLL

This only occurs on Suse Enterprise 12 for me.

Given time spent reading about a similar error message in Matlab, this
seems like a deeper problem that I am going to have a hard time
solving.

 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19268293/matlab-error-cannot-open-with-static-tls

Are there R installation changes I could make to fix this? Or is this
an issue with the packages? If I run png("test.png") first, it works,
but would that cause other errors in the future?

Also, I can get the same error using slightly different packages:

library(drc)
library(data.table)
library(RCurl)
library(rJava)