[R] R-help mailing list activity

Jean-Luc Dupouey dupouey at nancy.inra.fr
Sat Jan 23 13:28:37 CET 2016

Dear members,

Not a technical question:

The number of threads in this mailing list, following a long period of
increase, has been regularly and strongly decreasing since 2010, passing
from more than 40K threads to less than 11K threads last year. The trend
is similar for most of the "ancient" mailing lists of the R-project. I
cannot imagine the total number of R-related inquiries on the Internet
decreased. It means that contributors have gone elsewhere. Indeed, in
the meantime, the number of R posts on stackoverflow passed from 2K to
100K between 2009 and 2015. Thus my question: what are the
specificities, the plus and minus of the R-project mailing lists, in
comparison with other lists, and especially in comparison with
stackoverflow? A lot of threads are duplicated on both lists, which
seems to me a little bit counterproductive.

I hope it is the wright place to ask this question. Thanks in advance,

Jean-Luc Dupouey