[R] Downloading Google finance data onto R

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:31:47 CET 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Christofer Bogaso
<bogaso.christofer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi dear,
>
> I was trying to download a Google TS data directly onto R from this link :
>
> https://www.google.com/finance?q=NSE%3ALIQUIDBEES&ei=xlGnVuiPJ9eDuQSZ05OICw
>
> Used following function, however R generates error.
>
>> library(quantmod)
>> getSymbols(Symbols = "LIQUIDBEES", src = "google")
> Error in download.file(paste(google.URL, "q=", Symbols.name, "&startdate=",  :
>   cannot open URL
> 'http://finance.google.com/finance/historical?q=LIQUIDBEES&startdate=Jan+01,+2007&enddate=Jan+26,+2016&output=csv'
> In addition: Warning message:
> In download.file(paste(google.URL, "q=", Symbols.name, "&startdate=",  :
>   cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
>
> Could you please guide me how can I download that data directly to R?
> I have also tried with Yahoo finance data, but got the same error.

There's no data available for download. Compare with:
https://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NYSEARCA%3ASPY

That page has a "Download to spreadsheet" link. The page for
LIQUIDBEES does not.  So you have to scrape the data from the HTML.

> Thanks for your help.

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com
R/Finance 2016 | www.rinfinance.com