[R] [FORGED] Re: help with r package "trip"

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 04:17:03 CEST 2016

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 at 18:51 Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 15/06/16 20:18, Jim Lemon wrote:
> > Hi Alice,
> > Have you tried creating a vector of the start position (xpos[1],ypos[1]):
> >
> > xstart<-rep(xpos[1],n)
> > ystart<-rep(ypos[1],n)
> > # where "n" is the number of subsequent positions in the trip
> > max(trackDistance(xstart,ystart,xpos[2:n],ypos[2:n],...))
> >
> > may then give you the value of the longest distance from the start. I
> > don't have the trip package or I could see if you really need to
> > replicate the start positions.
>
> Jim:  This seems to me to be somewhat off the point.  The OP was faced
> with the problem of not being able to access the function homedist().
> This function seems *not* to be exported from the trip package, and yet
> it is a *documented* function which I would assume to imply that users
> should be able to invoke it directly.
>
> It is possible that in the past the OP was dealing with a version of the
> trip package that was created before namespaces came into the picture,
> whence "exporting" was not relevant.  I would suggest that the OP
> contact the package maintainer (maintainer("trip") will give you the
> email address) and enquire as to what is going on.

This is correct, the maintainer of trip never finished the task and so it's
documented but not exported - but also the CRAN version is incorrect so
please don't use it. Apologies for this.

> In the interim, a workaround *might* be to invoke homedist() as
>
>      trip:::homedist(<whatever>)

Please don't do this, the current definition is incorrect. I've updated it
here but can't spend much time checking, any direct input to me is welcome
- perhaps via the Issues feature on the GitHub repository.

https://github.com/mdsumner/trip

Again, my apologies for this.

Cheers, Mike.