[R] Problems installing docopt

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 04:53:46 CET 2016

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 2:48 PM, Neale Ferguson <neale at sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I¹ve seen similar questions when googling this problem but none of them
> seem directly related to what I am seeing. Doing an install.r docopt craps
> out with stringi build complaining:
>
> Error in iconv(x, "latin1", "ASCII") :
>   unsupported conversion from 'latin1' to 'ASCII'

That doesn't look like a full console log.

> Searching came up with issues relating to using the C locale and the need
> to use en_US.UTF-8. However, my locale is already set up as such:
>
> # locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>

> I¹m at a loss as to what look at next. (This is on a CentOS 7.1 system/)

Isn't this the sort of question that should first be posed to the maintainer? And when doing so, do post a more complete description of your versions.

(I had no difficulty with either the the binary or the source installs of docopt with dependencies=TRUE for version 0.4.3.3 (with stringi version 1.0-1 already in place) on a Mac running 3.2.3 Patched (2016-01-25 r70000) -- "Wooden Christmas-Tree"). It did not appear to me that the package required any compilation and that agrees with the DESCRIPTION file.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA