[R] R 3.3.0 Crashing: Error in readRDS(nsInfoFilePath) : unknown input format

Amitava Mukherjee amitmukh2 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:18:45 CEST 2016

Dear Dr. Jeff,

Many thanks for your reply. Here is the output of session info.

I uninstalled all versions of R from my PC and stored R files, then
reinstall.

First time, it works smoothly. But crashing once I shut down and reopen...

Details appended below...

Thanks and hope you will be able to help and support ...

Best regards,
Amitava

Error in readRDS(nsInfoFilePath) : unknown input format

R version 3.3.0 (2016-05-03) -- "Supposedly Educational"
Copyright (C) 2016 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

Warning message:
package "methods" in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error in readRDS(nsInfoFilePath) : unknown input format
During startup - Warning message:
package ‘methods’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found
> sessionInfo
function (package = NULL)
{
    z <- list()
    z$R.version <- R.Version()
    z$platform <- z$R.version$platform
    if (nzchar(.Platform$r_arch))
        z$platform <- paste(z$platform, .Platform$r_arch, sep = "/")
    z$platform <- paste0(z$platform, " (", 8 * .Machine$sizeof.pointer,
        "-bit)")
    z$locale <- Sys.getlocale()
    if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows") {
        z$running <- win.version()
    }
    else if (nzchar(Sys.which("uname"))) {
        uname <- system("uname -a", intern = TRUE)
        os <- sub(" .*", "", uname)
        z$running <- switch(os, Linux = if (file.exists("/etc/os-release"))
{
            tmp <- readLines("/etc/os-release")
            t2 <- if (any(startsWith(tmp, "PRETTY_NAME=")))
sub("^PRETTY_NAME=",
                "", grep("^PRETTY_NAME=", tmp, value = TRUE)[1L]) else if
(any(startsWith(tmp,
                "NAME"))) sub("^NAME=", "", grep("^NAME=", tmp,
                value = TRUE)[1L]) else "Linux (unknown distro)"
            sub("\"(.*)\"", "\\1", t2)
        } else if (file.exists("/etc/system-release")) {
            readLines("/etc/system-release")
        }, Darwin = {
            ver <-
readLines("/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist")
            ind <- grep("ProductUserVisibleVersion", ver)
            ver <- ver[ind + 1L]
            ver <- sub(".*<string>", "", ver)
            ver <- sub("</string>$", "", ver)
            ver1 <- strsplit(ver, ".", fixed = TRUE)[[1L]][2L]
            sprintf("OS X %s (%s)", ver, switch(ver1, `4` = "Tiger",
                `5` = "Leopard", `6` = "Snow Leopard", `7` = "Lion",
                `8` = "Mountain Lion", `9` = "Mavericks", `10` =
"Yosemite",
                `11` = "El Capitan", "unknown"))
        }, SunOS = {
            ver <- system("uname -r", intern = TRUE)
            paste("Solaris", strsplit(ver, ".", fixed = TRUE)[[1L]][2L])
        }, uname)
    }
    if (is.null(package)) {
        package <- grep("^package:", search(), value = TRUE)
        keep <- vapply(package, function(x) x == "package:base" ||
            !is.null(attr(as.environment(x), "path")), NA)
        package <- .rmpkg(package[keep])
    }
    pkgDesc <- lapply(package, packageDescription, encoding = NA)
    if (length(package) == 0)
        stop("no valid packages were specified")
    basePkgs <- sapply(pkgDesc, function(x) !is.null(x$Priority) &&
        x$Priority == "base")
    z$basePkgs <- package[basePkgs]
    if (any(!basePkgs)) {
        z$otherPkgs <- pkgDesc[!basePkgs]
        names(z$otherPkgs) <- package[!basePkgs]
    }
    loadedOnly <- loadedNamespaces()
    loadedOnly <- loadedOnly[!(loadedOnly %in% package)]
    if (length(loadedOnly)) {
        names(loadedOnly) <- loadedOnly
        pkgDesc <- c(pkgDesc, lapply(loadedOnly, packageDescription))
        z$loadedOnly <- pkgDesc[loadedOnly]
    }
    class(z) <- "sessionInfo"
}