[R] Same code on Mac?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:50:52 CEST 2016

R already contains platform-independent code to open a graphics
device: dev.new()
The device thus created is specified in options(), but by default is
appropriate for the current platform.

It's good practice to use this function instead of calling quartz()
directly so that your code can be run on other systems.

Sarah

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Franklin Bretschneider
<bretschr at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Dear Tom Mosca,
>
> Re:
>
>> Using a PC I have written the R code for my elementary statistics students.  One of the students has a Mac.  Should the same lines of code work on a Mac?
>>

>> Where can the student find support for R on her Mac?  I don't know anything about them, and have never used one.
>>

> Some commands are platform-dependent though, such as opening the standard graphics window [quartz() vs windows()].
> This needn't be a problem, since in R a script can sense on which platform it is running.
> Some years ago I wrote a platform-sensing graphics routine, reproduced below.
> This might help to prevent problems with simple graphics demos, and can no doubt be extended to other commands.
>
> Success, and
> Best regards,
>

> Franklin Bretschneider
> Dept of Biology
> Utrecht University
> bretschr at xs4all.nl
>

> #  function PIgraph.r
> #  Platform-Independent graphics init
> #  determines platform (Windows or Mac) then chooses device type
> #  F. Bretschneider; 04-08-2009
> #  ====================
>
> PIgraph <- function(w,h) if(.Platform$OS.type == "windows") windows(w=w, h=h) else quartz(w=w, h=h)
>
> #  example application
> x=-3:3
> y=x^2
> PIgraph(8,6)