[R] Improve code efficient with do.call, rbind and split contruction

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 19:51:11 CEST 2016

This is the sort of thing that dplyr or the data.table packages can
probably do elegantly and efficiently. So you might consider looking
at them. But as I use neither, let me suggest a base R solution. As
you supplied no data for a reproducible example, I'll make up my own
and hopefully I have understood you correctly. If not, maybe someone
else will get it straight. Anyway...

The "trick" is to use tapply() to select the necessary row indices of
your data frame and forget about all the do.call and rbind stuff. e.g.

> set.seed(1001)
> df <- data.frame(f =factor(sample(LETTERS[1:4],100,rep=TRUE)),
+                  g <- factor(sample(letters[1:6],100,rep=TRUE)),
+                  y = runif(100))

> ix <- seq_len(nrow(df))
>
> ix <- with(df,tapply(ix,list(f,g),function(x)x[length(x)]))
> ix
   a  b   c  d  e  f
A 94 69 100 59 80 87
B 89 57  65 90 75 88
C 85 92  86 95 97 62
D 47 73  72 74 99 96

## ix can now be used as an index into df as:
df[ix,]

This should help somewhat, but you still have to contend with the
tapply() loop at the interpreted level. I'll leave speed comparisons
to you.

Cheers,
Bert

## Note: if, in fact, your data frame is arranged in a regular way
with, e.g. your SID, DOSENO groups all of the same size and together,
then you can calculate the indices you want directly and skip the
tapply business.I'm assuming this is not the case... Again, no data...

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."