[R] Treating a vector of characters as object names to create list

Ryan Utz utz.ryan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 23:57:37 CEST 2016

Hello,

I have a vector of characters that I know will be object names and I'd like
to treat this vector as a series of names to create a list. But, for the
life of me, I cannot figure out how to treat a vector of characters as a
vector of object names when creating a list.

For example, this does exactly what I want to do (with 'merged.parameters'
as the end goal):

###
merging=c('alkalinity','iron')
alkalinity=c('39086','29801','90410','00410')
iron=c('01045','01046')
merged.parameters=list(alkalinity,iron)
###

But, say I have many, many parameters in 'merging' beyond alkalinity and
iron and I'd like to just cleanly turn the elements in 'merging' into a
list. This does not work:

###
merged.parameters=list(get(merging))
###

because it's only grabbing the first element of 'merging', for some reason.
Any advice? This feels like it really should be easy...

--

Ryan Utz, Ph.D.
Assistant professor of water resources

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]