[R] how to transform db query result into a set of timeseries

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 22:12:21 CEST 2016

There is a utility function TSquery() in package TSsql that attempts to
do this. Most of the functions in that package are for databases with a
specific layout intended for storing time series, but TSquery() attempts
to build a series from a somewhat arbitrary database. It is hard to be
completely generic and handle every possible database structure, so you
might just examine the function for hints. I think it does not handle
%H:%M:%S but the general logic should help.

The main problem is that your query is not guaranteed to return data in
time order. (You may be lucky if you loaded it that way, but it can
change unexpectedly.) You can do the ordering with the xts() order.by
argument but it is probably quicker to do it in the db so you need less
manipulation of the data you get back. TSquery() uses   ORDER BY in the
sql query to ensure the order:

    q <- paste(q, " GROUP BY ", dates, " ORDER BY ", dates, " ;")

If the query result is df then I think you can construct your series
simply with

   zonnen <- xts( cbind(df$M. df$G, df$N),
                  order.by = as.POSIXct( df$Date,
                        format="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") )

There are several other details in the function that you may find useful.

Paul Gilbert