[R] Using apply on a three dimensional matrix and passing multiple arguments to user defined function

Justin Peter Justin.Peter at usq.edu.au
Wed Sep 7 06:33:35 CEST 2016

Dear R-user,

I have a three-dimensional matrix of atmospheric data. The first two dimensions are spatial (lon and lat) and the third is time, such that

dim(data) <- c(nlon,nlat,ntime)

I wish to apply a land sea mask data which is a matrix of "0" and "1" if dim(nlon,nlat)

dim(lsmask) <- c(nlon,nlat)

I wish to set all of the elements in the two-dimensional array of data[,,ntime] for every 1:length(ntime).

I could do this in a loop:

for (i in 1:ntime){
    data[,,i][which(lsmask == 0)] <- NA
}

I would like to do this using apply, but I need to pass two variables to the function in apply (data and lsmask), where data is a two-dimensional array.

I tried:

mask <- function(x,y) {x[which(y==0)] <- NA}

masked_data <- apply(data,c(1,2),mask,y=lsmask)

but I get back a vector of dim(nlon,nlat) populated with NA.

Any clues as to what I am missing?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Kind regards,
Justin

--
Justin Peter
Research Fellow

Email: justin.peter at usq.edu.au<mailto:justin.peter at usq.edu.au>
Ph: +61 (0) 7 4631 1181
Fax: +61 (0) 7 4631 5581
Mob: +61 (0)474 774 107

This email (including any attached files) is confidential and is for the intended recipient(s) only. If you received this email by mistake, please, as a courtesy, tell the sender, then delete this email.

The views and opinions are the originator's and do not necessarily reflect those of the University of Southern Queensland. Although all reasonable precautions were taken to ensure that this email contained no viruses at the time it was sent we accept no liability for any losses arising from its receipt.

The University of Southern Queensland is a registered provider of education with the Australian Government.
(CRICOS Institution Code QLD 00244B / NSW 02225M, TEQSA PRV12081 )

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]