[R] Run an external software in R

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Wed Sep 7 09:07:42 CEST 2016

Bert Gunter <bgunter.4567 at gmail.com> writes:

> ?system
>
> But this begs the question: WHY would you want to do this? More
> specifically, what should R communicate to your other software, and
> what should the other software communicate to R?

I am not the OP, buty I can give you an answer why I did this (OK - I
user rgrass7 - but under the hood the same in my case).

I don't have to say that R is extremely powerful and flexible - and when
you are used to R, it even becomes intuitive. So why not use R for
scripting, even if it is not statistical stuff? and with system() you
can call other languages (bash, grass, whatever you want) when things
are easier there - so in some cases, no data transfer between R and the
external program is even necessary.

But if you are asking about the specific case of the OP, I can't answer this.

Cheers,

Rainer