[R] Resample with replacement to produce many rarefaction curves with same number of samples

Luisfo luisfo89 at yahoo.es
Wed Sep 7 17:17:27 CEST 2016

Hi Nick,

If you use the following
     raredata <- rarecurve(rrarefy(netdata, sample=100), label=F,
col=rgb(0, 0, 1, 0.1))
should work for any sample size, e.g. sample=100.
However, you will have a 'warning' if you don't have samples enough,
because it has not replacement.

If you type 'rrarefy' on the R console (without brackets), or any other
function name, you will see the R code of the function.
rrarefy uses the function 'sample()' for sampling, but has no option for
replacement.
I did the following. I created my custom rrarefy function from the original.
rrarefy.custom <- function (x, sample, rep.param=F)
{
   if (!identical(all.equal(x, round(x)), TRUE))
     stop("function is meaningful only for integers (counts)")
   x <- as.matrix(x)
   if (ncol(x) == 1)
     x <- t(x)
   if (length(sample) > 1 && length(sample) != nrow(x))
     stop(gettextf("length of 'sample' and number of rows of 'x' do not
match"))
   sample <- rep(sample, length = nrow(x))
   colnames(x) <- colnames(x, do.NULL = FALSE)
   nm <- colnames(x)
   if (!rep.param && any(rowSums(x) < sample))
     warning("Some row sums < 'sample' and are not rarefied")
   for (i in 1:nrow(x)) {
     if (rep.param && sum(x[i, ]) <= sample[i])
       next
     row <- sample(rep(nm, times = x[i, ]), sample[i], replace = rep.param)
     row <- table(row)
     ind <- names(row)
     x[i, ] <- 0
     x[i, ind] <- row
   }
}
You can check the differences with the original code if you type
'rrarefy' on the R console.

So now, if you type the following
     raredata <- rarecurve(rrarefy.custom(netdata,
sample=100,rep.param=T), label=F, col=rgb(0, 0, 1, 0.1))
you will have the desired behaviour.

WARNING: I do not understand about rarefunction curves or communities in
your context. So, be careful when resampling. It might not be
statistically correct.

Regards,
*Luisfo Chiroque*
/PhD Student | PhD Candidate