[R] Fitting Mixture distributions

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 8 14:38:10 CEST 2016

    > "please suggest what can I do to resolve this
    > issue."

    > Fitting normal mixtures can be difficult, and sometime the
    > optimization algorithm (EM) will get stuck with very slow convergence.
    > Presumably there are options in the package to either increase the max
    > number of steps before giving up or make the convergence criteria less
    > sensitive. The former will increase the run time and the latter will
    > reduce the optimality (possibly leaving you farther from the true
    > optimum). So you should look into changing these as you think
    > appropriate.

I'm jumping in late, without having read everything preceding.

One of the last messages seemed to indicate that you are looking
at mixtures of *one*-dimensional gaussians.

If this is the case, I strongly recommend looking at (my) CRAN
package 'nor1mix' (the "1" is for "*one*-dimensional).

For a while now that small package is providing an alternative
to the EM, namely direct MLE, simply using optim(<likelihood>) where the
likelihood uses a somewhat smart parametrization.

Of course, *as the EM*, this also depends on the starting value,
but my (limited) experience has been that
  nor1mix::norMixMLE()
works considerably faster and more reliable than the EM (which I
also provide as    nor1mix::norMixEM() .

Apropos 'starting value': The help page shows how to use
kmeans() for "somewhat" reliable starts; alternatively, I'd
recommend using cluster::pam() to get a start there.

I'm glad to hear about experiences using these / comparing
these with other approaches.

Martin

--
Martin Maechler,