[R] Drill down reports in R

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:32:28 CEST 2016

As has been mentioned, this really requires a GUI tool beyond just R.
Luckily there are many GUI tools that have been linked to R and if
Shiny (the shiniest of them) does not have something like this easily
available so far then you may want to look elsewhere in the meantime.

One option is the tcltk package which interfaces with the Tk GUI tools
(and the tcl language) which does have the pieces to build in the
expandable/drill down interface.  One implementation of this is the
TkListView function in the TeachingDemos package which can be used to
view list objects in this manner (it starts with the top level list
objects, then when you click on a + symbol it will open that piece and
show one level down).

One possibility would be to create all of your results in a list, then
view it with TkListView  (this will require all computations up front,
whether anyone looks at them or not).

Another option would be to start with TkListView and rewrite it to do
things more dynamically and with the output that you want to show.

There is also the shinyTree package on CRAN that allows a tree type
object in shiny that may do what you want (I don't know what all
options it allows and what it can display beyond what is in the
Readme).