[R] Accelerating binRead

Philippe de Rochambeau phiroc at free.fr
Sun Sep 18 11:02:59 CEST 2016

Please find below code that attempts to read ints, longs and floats from a binary file (which is a simplification of my original program).
Please disregard the R inefficiencies, such as using rbind, for now.
I’ve also included Java code to generate the binary file.
The output shows that, at one point, anInt becomes undefined. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the correct R function to determine whether inInt is undefined or not, as is.null, is.nan, and is.infinite don’t work.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Philippe

———————
[1] "anInt = 1"
[1] "is.null  FALSE"
[1] "is.nan  FALSE"
[1] "is.infinite  FALSE"
[1] "aLong = 2"
[1] "aFloat = 3.44440007209778"
[1] "--------------------------"
[1] "anInt = 2"
[1] "is.null  FALSE"
[1] "is.nan  FALSE"
[1] "is.infinite  FALSE"
[1] "aLong = 22"
[1] "aFloat = 13.4644002914429"
[1] "--------------------------"
[1] "anInt = 3"
[1] "is.null  FALSE"
[1] "is.nan  FALSE"
[1] "is.infinite  FALSE"
[1] "aLong = 55"
[1] "aFloat = 45.4444007873535"
[1] "--------------------------"
[1] "anInt = "
[1] "is.null  FALSE"
[1] "is.nan  "
[1] "is.infinite  "
[1] "aLong = "
[1] "aFloat = "
[1] "--------------------------"
     [,1]      [,2]      [,3]
[1,] 1         2         3.4444
[2,] 2         22        13.4644
[3,] 3         55        45.4444
[4,] Integer,0 Integer,0 Numeric,0

-----------

—————————————————————

readFile <- function(inputPath) {
  URL <- file(inputPath, "rb")
  PLT <- matrix(nrow=0, ncol=3)
  counte <- 0
  max <- 4
  while (counte < max) {
    anInt <- readBin(con=URL, what=integer(), size=4, n=1, endian="big")
    print(paste("anInt =", anInt))
    #if (! (anInt == 0)) { print(paste("empty int")); break }
    print(paste("is.null ", is.null(anInt)))
    print(paste("is.nan ", is.nan(anInt)))
    print(paste("is.infinite ", is.infinite(anInt)))
    aLong <- readBin(URL, integer(), size=8, n=1, endian="big")
    print(paste("aLong =", aLong))
    aFloat <- readBin(URL, numeric(), size=4, n=1, endian="big")
    print(paste("aFloat =", aFloat))
    print("--------------------------")
    PLT <- rbind(PLT, list(anInt, aLong, aFloat))
    counte <- counte + 1
  } # end while
  close(URL)
  PLT
}
fichier <- "/Users/philippe/Desktop/datatests/data0.bin"
PLT2 <- readFile(fichier)
print(PLT2)
—————————————————————

import java.io.*;

public class Main {

	Main() {
		writeData();
	}

		new Main();
	}

	public void writeData() {

		final String path = "/Users/philippe/Desktop/datatests/data0.bin";

		DataOutputStream dos;
		try {
			dos = new DataOutputStream(new BufferedOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(path)));
			// big endian write! ("high byte first") , see https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/DataOutputStream.html
			dos.writeInt(1);
			dos.writeLong(2L);
			dos.writeFloat(3.4444F);