[R] R freezing issue when checking to see if variable belongs to two different vectors

Joel Stewart jstewart at provplan.org
Fri Sep 23 20:42:40 CEST 2016

I often find myself trying to get a quick assessment of how much of one vector is inside of another vector. I almost always try this with variables that are some sort of identifier, like a client id number or an SSN. I typically do this:

table( DF1$Identifier %in% DF2$Identifier)

This will return a count of True and False logical responses. However, sometimes when I try to do this my computer will freeze and I am unable to stop or escape the process, requiring me to shutdown R via the task manager. I was wondering if anybody else experiences this and, if so, why this might be happening.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]