[R] CRAN package submission failed on solaris : timezone problem

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 20:57:13 CEST 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Servet Ahmet Çizmeli
<Servet.Ahmet.Cizmeli at usherbrooke.ca> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I just submitted my new package to CRAN. All checks passed on all
> platforms, except one in solaris :
>
> as(df2, "Spectra")
>
> Error: tz1.set == tz2.set is not TRUE
>
> More details on :
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_geoSpectral.html
>
> In this package I defined an S4 class named "Spectra" that provides a
> slot with xts object and another slot with a POSIXct object. Example of
> the setAs method fails while I coerce a data.frame to Spectra.

It's not clear whether the setAs method is failing or the show method
is failing, because that line in the example is doing 2 things: it
calls the setAs method and then auto-prints.

If I had to guess, I would suspect it's this line causing issues:
tz = format(time(object at time[1]),format="%Z")

Possibly in combination with whether or not the CRAN Solaris machines
are using the OS' timezone code or R's internal version when
formatting the timezone.

> I tried to replicate the problem on my ubuntu-windows-mac machines and
> no luck. I then created a solaris virtual machine and installed
> everything, I still cannot replicate the error. All checks pass on the
> VM too.
>
> Searching this list gave nothing. When I google the error message
> "Error: tz1.set == tz2.set is not TRUE", my package name comes first...
> which leads me to think that not that many people already had a similar
> problem. I also changed the timezone of the solaris VM to an arbitrary
> timezone. No luck.
>
> I am at loss. I can't replicate the problem that occurred in CRAN's
> solaris servers.
>
> Can you please help me?
>
> regards
>
> Servet