[R] Error with installed.packages with R 3.4.0 on Windows

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 10:36:56 CEST 2017

Yes, we noticed this in the last days of the code freeze before release and shied away from inserting a workaround, partly because we couldn't see what the root of the problem might be.

For the purposes of installed.packages it is relatively harmless to treat the NA condition as FALSE, since it is just a matter of whether a cache is valid. I.e., it might cause an unnecessary cache rebuild. For other situations it might be more of an issue.

The workaround (NA -> FALSE, basically) is in place in R-patched and R-devel.

-pd