[R] something weird has happened....!!!!!!!!!!

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Dec 15 17:58:44 CET 2017

You can see if your function uses R's random number generator with
the following function.

isRandom <- function(expr) {
    randomSeedBefore <- get0(".Random.seed")
    force(expr)
    !identical(randomSeedBefore, get0(".Random.seed"))
}
isRandom(1:10)
#[1] FALSE
isRandom(runif(3)>.4)
#[1] TRUE

It gives a false negative if a function restores .Random.seed after making
some random numbers, but that is fairly uncommon.  It may give misleading
results if you use functions like parLapply.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com