[R] Von Mises mixtures: mu and kappa?

Peter Mills peter.mills at strath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 16:39:20 CET 2017

Thank you Bert for the references. I have found mix.vmf as a possible alternative to movMF but am stuck with applying either to my application.

Does anyone know why mix.vmf requires to 2 columns for x?

For example when I use:
gWD <- c(0.1, 1, 0.9, 0.7,0.3)
> mix.vmf(gWD, 2)

I get the error:
‘Error in matrix(nrow = n, ncol = g) : non-numeric matrix extent’

The following code works but I'm not sure how to adapt this to the application I require. What I need is to calculate the mixture parameters for a vector of directional data not a matrix. Could anyone suggest how I can do this?

k <- c(1, 2)
prob <- c(0.3, 0.4, 0.3)
mu <- matrix(rnorm(4), ncol = 2)
mu <- mu / sqrt( rowSums(mu^2) )
x <- rmixvmf(10, prob, mu, k)$x
mix.vmf(x, 3)

With regards to my original post and using movMF I'm stuck with this also. I found the following from [1], I thought this was the answer however it seems to need some adjustment as it is not giving me the theta and kappa values I started with:
kappa2 <- row_norms(y2$theta)
mu2<-y2$theta/row_norms(y2$theta)

[1] On lines 94 and 107 of “v58i10.R: R example code from the paper “ available from https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v058i10

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated as after a further week of researching this and trying code I still don't seem to have working code.

Here is some code I am using as a testing example:
## Generate and fit a "small-mix" data set a la Banerjee et al.
mu1 <- rbind(c(-0.251, -0.968),
            c(0.399, 0.917))
kappa1 <- c(4, 4)
theta <- kappa1 * mu1
alpha <- c(0.48, 0.52)
## Generate a sample of size n = 50 from the von Mises-Fisher mixture ## with the above parameters.
set.seed(123)
x <- rmovMF(50, theta, alpha)
## Fit a von Mises-Fisher mixture with the "right" number of components, ## using 10 EM runs.
y2 <- movMF(x, 2, nruns = 10)

kappa2 <- row_norms(y2$theta)
mu2<-y2$theta/row_norms(y2$theta)

mu3c <- lapply(y2, function(x) y2$theta / row_norms(y2$theta)) ################################################

I don't understand why this doesn't give me the values of mu and kappa I started with. I have tried to adapted this code to have the same number of mu and kappa values but it doesn't work then as mu is know longer a matrix.

I don't understand why both movMF and mix.vmf give both mu1 and mu2 values per kappa value. In other words for a Von Mises mixture with 3 mixtures (clusters) the code gives 6 mu values and 3 kappa values. I was expecting to get 3 preferred directions (mu).

For example:
mix.vmf(x, 3) gives

$param
                mu1        	mu2     	kappa     probs
Cluster 1 0.4985047 -0.8668870 12.281773 0.3571429
Cluster 2 0.9490725  0.3150578 34.028465 0.2857143
Cluster 3 0.1017800  0.9948069  4.182367 0.3571429

Many thanks
Peter