[R] R studio server vs R server and Small computer to run R

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 20:46:42 CET 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:03 AM, John Sorkin <jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu>
wrote:

> Please forgive my resending this help request. I sent it two days ago. To
> date I have not received any responses.
> Thank you,
> John
>

> I am looking for a small computer low power that I make available on the
> web that will run R studio server or R server
>
> 1) can anyone recommend a computer?

The Raspberry Pi 3 runs a version of Debian. It is quite small. Mine runs a
BCM2709 processor. That's a
​64 bit ARM processor. HOWEVER! The Debian that I have to run is only 32
bit.  It has 1 GiB of RAM and 32 GiB of flash memory which is the disk. It
runs 1.2 Ghz. It has 4 USB ports so you could plug in a USB connected disk,
if you need more local disk space.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/

> 2) can anyone let me know the advantages and disadvantages of R studio
> server and R server?

​Sorry, I only use the basic R.

--
There’s no obfuscated Perl contest because it’s pointless.

—Jeff Polk

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]