[R] italic font on cairo devices in R 3.4

Ilia Kats ilia-kats at gmx.net
Tue Jul 4 09:40:14 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I have the following problem: Since R 3.4.0, italic fonts rendered on
Cairo devices appear pixelated. Here's a minimal example:
cairo_pdf('test.pdf')
plot(1:10, ylab=expression(italic(test)))
dev.off()

The same problem occurs with bolditalic, but not bold. I am using Debian
Stretch. Several friends tried the same on their machines, another
Debian machine has the same problem. On MacOSX the output was not
pixelated, but it wasn't italic either. Ubuntu 16.04.2 xenial works
fine. My impression is that R somehow can't find the proper font to use
and falls back to something weird. Ideas?

Note that I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in replies.

Cheers, Ilia