[R] Setting up a .Rprofile file

Enrico Schumann es at enricoschumann.net
Fri Mar 24 11:03:34 CET 2017

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017, Bruce Ratner PhD writes:

> Henrico:
> Thanks for quick reply.
> However, one last question:
> If I want to change working directory, and put setwd() in the Rprofile
> file, logically R will not know where the be work directory is,
> correct?
>
> So, should I install R in my preferred working directory?
>
> Thanks again, in advance.
> Bruce

Hm, I think I don't understand what you mean here. Where R
is installed and where it is run are (usually) not the same
places.

Let $ be a shell prompt, and let > be the R
prompt. Then:

  $ cd /tmp/
  $ R -q
  > getwd()
  [1] "/tmp"
  > q("no")
  $ cd ~/Documents/
  $ R -q
  > getwd()
  [1] "~/Documents"

Now I write into my "~./Rprofile" file:

  setwd("~/Downloads")

$ cd /tmp/
$ R -q
> getwd()
[1] "~/Downloads"

But maybe I am completely misunderstanding what you
mean....

Kind regards
     Enrico

>> On Mar 24, 2017, at 3:48 AM, Enrico Schumann <es at enricoschumann.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Bruce Ratner PhD writes:
>>
>>> Hi R'ers:
>>> I would like to setting up a .Rprofile file with
>>> setwd("C:/R_WorkDir")
>>> set.seed(12345)

--
Enrico Schumann