[R] Setting up a .Rprofile file

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Mar 24 15:11:58 CET 2017

OP is on some variant of MSWindows, which doesn't use a Bash shell, so the syntax of that example is a bit foreign, Enrico.

I would say that the concept of using .Rprofile to change directories is ill-advised, since having ALL of your R work in one place is not sustainable. However you can make one or more clickable icons (shortcuts) on your desktop or start menu with the Startup Directory property set to the directory you want to work in. You can modify a shortcut made by the installer, or  hold the Alt key down while dragging the RGui.exe icon to some convenient place, and use the right-click popup menu to change Properties.

I used to create a .RData file in the directory I wanted to work in and double click that to get R started in that directory, but the side effects of loading objects into the R global environment can really confuse things and create puzzling behaviour if that file gets changed. These days I use RStudio and double click on a .Rproj (project) file to get RStudio going with the directory set to where that file is without mucking with the global environment.