[R] Archive format

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Wed Mar 29 17:00:44 CEST 2017

Dear Joe,

I'd choose a plain text format. They can be read and parsed with a
very wide range of software. That is IMHO a much more important factor
for long term archivation that file size or the ease to read it with
specific software.

The choice between tab-delimited, comma separated values, XML, JSON,
... will depend upon the data (and the metadata).

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Kliniekstraat 25
1070 Anderlecht
Belgium

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey