[R] Archive format

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Mar 29 17:36:38 CEST 2017

The relevance to R (and therefore R-help) of this question is marginal at best. R might not be the language of choice when you go retrieve the data.

Also, this question seems dangerously close to a troll, because the obvious answer is that the data should be in an open format but if you are not currently working with data in an open format then you increase the cost of archiving and risk losing information up front by extracting it from a proprietary format, and balancing those concerns is more political than technical.

Note that there exist open binary formats, and the goals of your archiving task and nature of the data would have to be considered in deciding which of the many to use. My own experience has been that plain text survives time best, but YMMV.