[R] R-3.4.2: make check stops at line 698 of tests/reg-tests-1d.R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 19:24:13 CET 2017

On 01/11/2017 1:08 PM, Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
> Am Mi, 1. Nov 2017, um 17:40, schrieb Duncan Murdoch:
>> On 01/11/2017 12:02 PM, Albrecht Kauffmann wrote:
>>> Dear Duncan,
>>>
>>> Many thanks!

>>> after: R --vanilla <../R-3.4.2/tests/reg-tests-1d.R
>>
>> Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I meant to ask what error message you get if you
>> run the command that's supposed to generate a warning, i.e. run the code
>>
> Oops! Here are the resulting error messages, which are not the same:
>> ap1 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar")
> Warning: Cannot access to the index of the repository
> http://foo.bar/src/contrib:
>    line beginning with '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLI ...' is incorrect formatted
>
>> ap2 <- available.packages(repos = "http://foo.bar")
> Error in readRDS(dest) : unknown input format
>
> On my other PC, the same lines give 2 times the same error message:
> "Warning: Cannot access to the index of the repository
> http://foo.bar/src/contrib: Cannot open URL
> 'http://foo.bar/src/contrib/PACKAGES' "
>
> Indeed, the second error message on the present PC is different. What
> may be the cause?

It looks as though one of your PCs is returning a file in response to
the request, rather than signalling that the URL is not found.

If you go into a browser like Firefox and try to open the URL

http://foo.bar/src/contrib/PACKAGES

what do you see on the two systems?  I get a message from Firefox that
the server is not found.

Some ISPs respond to requests for nonexistent URLs with a message,
basically an ad for something or other.  Maybe that's what you're getting.

In any case, this looks like a bug in R:  the first request failed, but
something got cached, and then the second request got an error reading
the cached value.

Duncan Murdoch