[R] tcltk problems

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 19 02:02:40 CET 2017

On 18/11/17 18:18, Peter Langfelder wrote:
> Rolf,
>
> looking at the configure script I believe you need to specify
>
> --with-tcl-config=/usr/lib/tcl8.6/tclConfig.sh
>
> and similarly
>
> --with-tk-config=<location of tkConfig.sh>
>
> HTH.

Yes it helped.  Thank you. I don't really understand why, but.

I had previously (following an off-list suggestion from Berwin Turlach)
put in symbolic links in /usr/lib:

      tclConfig.sh -> tcl8.6/tclConfig.sh*
and
      tkConfig.sh -> tk8.6/tclConfig.sh

so if the configure was by default looking for these files in /usr/lib
it should have found them.  But it seemed not to.

In respect of Dirk's suggestion that I try using pre-built ubuntu R, I
decided to try that and did

sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install r-base

and that kind of worked --- but naturally it screwed something up.  I
can no longer load a "personal" library of utilities --- when I try this
(either having the load command in my .Rprofile or by invoking
R --vanilla) R crashes and tries to dump core.

Now, after having successfully installed R from source (following Peter
Langfelder's tip) I still cannot load my utilities library.  Something
got changed by the "install r-base" procedure, and there would appear to
be no way of tracking down just what got changed.

It's things like that which make me want to "do it myself" as much as
possible.

W.r.t. Peter Dalgaard's suggestion/question about ${LIBnn}$:  I looked
through R-3.4.2/configure and can see nowhere that LIBnn gets set.
(Lots of references to LIBnn, but nowhere that its value gets set equal
to something.)

BTW I (of course) am using the configure file that comes with R-3.4.2; I
haven't changed anything.  So if anyone looks at the R-3.4.2 configure
file they should see exactly what I see.

Then I scanned through BldDir/config.log and found:

LIBnn='lib64'

(on line 19901 !!!)

So it would appear that Peter D.'s conjecture is correct.

OTOH this is waaayyy after the "checking for tclConfig.sh" business,
which happens at about line 15101 of config.log.  So how does it have an
impact on that?

And how did LIBnn get to be set to 'lib64'?  I certainly didn't do it,
and there's nothing about 'lib64' in the environment variables that I
have set.

I remain mystified.

cheers,

Rolf

P.S.  On a whim, I scanned through config.log some more and found many,
many errors logged and many, many "compilation terminated" notes.  In
particular there seem to be problems with a file "confdef.h", which
repeatedly seems to give rise to "fatal errors".  (Where is confdef.h?
It seems to be nowhere.)

But this was from a "*successful*" configure (using Peter L.'s
suggestion.) So it would appear that these errors were harmless.  Mostly
harmless???

R.

--
Technical Editor ANZJS