[R] Data cleaning & Data preparation, what do R users want?

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:48:04 CET 2017

I don't think my view is of interest to many, so offlist.

I reject this:

" I would consider data analysis work to be three stages: data preparation,
statistical analysis, and producing the report."

For example, there is no such thing as "outliers" -- data to be removed as
part of cleaning/preparation -- without a statistical model to be an
"outlier" **from**, which is part of the statistical analysis. And the
structure of the data (data preparation) may need to change depending on
the course of the analysis (including graphics, also part of the analysis).
So I think your view reflects a naïve view of the nature of data analysis,
which is an iterative and holistic process. I suspect your training is as a
computer scientist and you have not done much 1-1 consulting with
researchers, though you should certainly feel free to reject this canard.
Building software for large scale automated analysis of data required a
much different analytical paradigm than the statistical consulting model,
which is largely my background.

No reply necessary. Just my opinion, which you are of course free to trash.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."