[R] Package 'data.table' in version R-3.5.0 not successfully being installed

Akhilesh Singh @khile@h@ingh@igkv @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Apr 26 19:54:12 CEST 2018

My thanks to Dr. John Fox and Dr. Duncan Murdoch. But, I have upgraded all
my R-3.4.3 libraries to R-3.5.0, and I have not backed-up copies of old
version. So, I would give a try each to the solutions suggested by John Fox
and Dengan Murdoch.

With regards,

Dr. A.K. Singh

On 26-Apr-2018 9:44 PM, "Duncan Murdoch" <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

On 26/04/2018 10:33 AM, Fox, John wrote:
> Dear A.K. Singh,
>
> As you discovered, the data.table package has an error under R 3.5.0 that
prevents CRAN from distributing a Windows binary for the package. The
reason that you weren't able to install the package from source is
apparently that you haven't installed the R package-building tools for
Windows. See <https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/>.

> Because a number of users of my Rcmdr and car packages have contacted me
with a similar issue, as a temporary work-around I've placed a Windows
binary for the data.table package on my website at <
https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/.Pickup/data.table_1.10.4-3.zip>.
You should be able to install the package from there via the command

>       install.packages("
https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/.Pickup/data.table_1.10.4-3.zip",
repos=NULL, type="win.binary")

> I expect that this problem will go away when the maintainer of the
data.table package fixes the error.

You can see the errors in the package on this web page:

https://cloud.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_data.table.html

Currently it is failing self-tests on all platforms except r-oldrel,
which is the previous release of R.  I'd recommend backing out of R
3.5.0 and going to R 3.4.4 if that's a possibility for you.

Yet another possibility is to use a version of data.table from Github,
which is newer than the version on CRAN and may have fixed the errors,
but that would require an installation from source, which not every
Windows user is comfortable with.

Duncan Murdoch

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]