[R] source script file that contains Unicode non-English characters

Fri Aug 17 22:57:54 CEST 2018

On 17/08/2018 10:07 AM, Faridedin Cheraghi wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> thanks for your feedback on this. Even though most developers are not in
> Windows (which I doubt it),

I'm talking about the R Core developers.  I used to be one, but have
retired from that role.

  there are a huge number of people who use R
> on Windows and I am one of them who seriously work with R.

Indeed, Microsoft promotes R, and they have a lot of developers; they
just don't contribute much to R.  Honestly I'd suggest that if you are
serious about working with languages not supported in the default code
page, you should switch platforms.

> Following my
> own workaround to this bug, now I hit another issue with another
> workaround when trying to render the Farsi Unicode characters. While
> these workarounds work in ad hoc, they are not appealing in all
> scenarios;I hit other problems related to this bug, e.g., when
> documenting a package with Roxygen2 package.
>
> Please see the attached files (r scripts) for the complete bug report.

If you think this is a new bug, you should report it to the bug tracking
system (which requires you to be registered first).  Posting it to me or
to R-help will probably not result in any action on it.  Posting it to
the bug page will at least result in a fairly permanent record.

Duncan Murdoch