[R] standardized regression coefficients in GAM

Fox, John j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Thu Aug 30 20:37:17 CEST 2018

Dear Dani,

I'll address your questions briefly below. They aren't unique to GAMs.

Why one would want to do this isn't clear to me, but you can just multiply each such coefficient by the standard deviation of the corresponding X and divide by the standard deviation of Y.

> Also, on a separate note, what do I do with the dummy covariates - should I
> just include them as they are in the model with standardized variables? I do
> not see how I can standardize dummy variables.

Standardizing dummy regressors is nonsense, so don't do it. If there are interaction regressors in your model, don't standardize those either.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Professor Emeritus