[R] parallel computing in r....

Sun Jun 24 22:03:53 CEST 2018

You cannot send one task to 12 processors... the price of parallelism is that you must break down your task into smaller tasks. Once you have number of tasks equal to our more than the number of available cores then the higher level functions such as parLapply or mclapply can shuffle tasks onto cores. If you have 48 cores and 4 tasks, only 4 of the cores will be used. You probably should stay away from directly calling mcparallel as it is a low level function. Read the vignette about the base "parallel" package [1]. You might also like to use the forEach contributed package to simplify your work, and should look at the CRAN High Performance Computing Task View [2].

[1] vignette("parallel") or http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/parallel/doc/parallel.pdf
[2] https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html