[R] getting all circular arrangements without accounting for order

Ranjan Maitra maitra at email.com
Fri Mar 30 20:45:37 CEST 2018

Jeff,

I wanted to let you know that your function is faster than generating the directional circular permutations and weeding.

Here is the time for n = 10. I compared with just doing the permutations, there is no point in proceeding further with the weeding since it is slower at the start itself.

system.time(directionless_circular_permutations(10))
   user  system elapsed
  1.576   0.000   1.579

system.time(permutations(9,9))
   user  system elapsed
  3.030   0.000   3.037

Repeats keep the values similar. All computations on a 10-core processor @3.1GHz with 20 threads  (using only one thread) and running the  Fedora 27 with 4.15.9 kernel.

I have to say that I was surprised to see the difference at n = 10 itself.

Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Ranjan