[R] saveRDS() and readRDS() Why? [solved, pretty much anyway)

William Dunlap wdunl@p @ending from tibco@com
Tue Nov 13 23:22:05 CET 2018

Perhaps you got bitten by Dolphin's non-modal dialogs, as described in
https://userbase.kde.org/Dolphin/File_Management:

Non Modal Dialogs

When Moving, Copying or Deleting files/directories the dialog disappears
even when the operation has not yet completed. A progress bar then appears
in the bottom right of the screen, this then disappears also, if you want
see the progress you need to click a small (i) information icon in the
system tray.

Warning
New users who are not used to this way of working (and even experienced
users) can get caught out by this, if you are Moving, Copying or Deleting
large directories then you need to use the icon to monitor the progress of
your operation. If you don't then any subsequent actions you do, may well
use an incomplete file structure resulting in corrupted files. You have
been warned!

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM, p_connolly <p_connolly using slingshot.co.nz>
wrote:

> This is getting more strange.
>
> I normally copy from the shared folder to the appropriate directory using
> Dolphin, the KDE file manager.  If instead I use the standard bash cp
> command, no corruption happens -- at least with the limited testing I have
> done.  There also seems to be no problem copying from Linux to Windows.  I
> installed R-3.5.1 for Windows just to eliminate that possible issue.
>
> However, R has *something* to do with it because it was used to make the
> .rds file.  Just how the relationship between the name of the R object and
> the name of the .rds file comes into it, I can't imagine.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion William.
>

> On 2018-11-14 06:26, William Dunlap wrote:
>
>> It seems like copying the files corrupted them. How did you copy them
>> (with R
>> or cp or copy or ftp, etc.)?  I don't see how this has anything to do
>> with R.
>>
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com [1]
>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM, p_connolly
>> <p_connolly using slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>>
> [...]

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]