[R] Ignoring the domain of RV in punif()

Ted Harding ted@h@rd|ng @end|ng |rom w|@ndre@@net
Tue Oct 23 13:37:35 CEST 2018

Well, as a final (I hope!) clarification: It is not the case that
"the bigger cube does not exists (because the Q is the reference
space)". It does exist! Simply, the probability of the random point
being in the bigger cube, and NOT in the cube Q, is 0.

Hence "the cumulative probability of reaching a point outside the
cube (u or v or w  > A) is 1" is badly phrased. The "cumulative
probability" is not the probability of *reaching* a point, but of
being (in the case of a real random variable) less than or equal
to the given value. If Prob[X <= x1] = 1, then Prob[X > x1] = 0.
Hence if x0 is the minimum value such that Prob[X <= x0] = 1,
then X "can reach" x0. But for any x1 > x0, Prob[x0 < X <= x1] = 0.
Therefore, since X cannot be greater than x0, X *cannot reach* x1!

Best wishes,
Ted.