[R] Using apply

Peter Langfelder peter@|@ng|e|der @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 31 04:44:08 CET 2018

It should be said that for many basic statistics, there are faster
functions than apply, for example here you want

sum = colSums(x)

As already said, for sum of squares you would do colSums(x^2).

Many useful functions of this kind are implemented in package
matrixStats. Once you install it, either look at the package manual or
type ls("package:matrixStats") to see a list of functions. Most if not
all have self-explanatory names.

HTH,

Peter