[R] sink() output to another directory

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Fri Sep 14 14:38:34 CEST 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Bert Gunter wrote:

> I find your "explanation" confusing. You appear to be misusing print().
> Please read ?print carefully. You print objects in R, not files. Objects
> in R do not have "/" in their names (without some trickery). See
> ?make.names .

Bert,

   I had read both ?print and ?print.default looking for information about
placing the printed object in another directory, and found nothing.

   My initial assumption was that print() worked similar to plot(). I use
plot() after specifying a pdf file as output and thought that sink() (which
?sink tells me diverts R output to a connection (and stops it as dev.off
stops writing to the pdf file). That sink() apparently does not work the
same way is why I posted my question.

Regards,

Rich