[R] sink() output to another directory

Sorkin, John j@ork|n @end|ng |rom @om@um@ry|@nd@edu
Fri Sep 14 16:01:24 CEST 2018

As has been pointed out, the correct way to direct printing to a given location is using sink( . . . put path here . . . ) then print() and then sink() without any argument to turn off print direction. A helpful addition to this strategy is to use the file.path function to define a variable that specifies the path, i.e.

path <- file.path( . . . specify path here, see documentation of file.path . . .)

sink(path)

print(. . . an R object . . .)

sink()

The nice feature about using file.path is that it by default it formats the path correctly for the OS on which you are running R; paths are specified differently (i.e. use of slashes vs. back slashes) when using Linux vs. windows systems. Note that when specifying the path using file.path rather than having to format the path according to the dictates of your OS, all you need to do is to specify the elements of the path

path <- file.path("data",''FIPSstudy","exercisetests"). The result will be a character string that is formatted properly for your OS.

John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524