[R] [FORGED] Question on Binom.Confint

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Fri Sep 14 18:34:04 CEST 2018

On 2018-09-14 08:52, Guo, Fang (Associate) wrote:
> It's method="lrt" and I used the "binom" package.

       The ultimate answer can be obtained as follows:

 > debug(binom.confint)
 > binom.confint(x = 0, n = 100, tol = 1e-8, method='lrt')

       Then walk through the code line by line.

       Reading the code, I find the following:

   if (any(method == "lrt") || all.methods) {
         res.lrt <- binom.lrt(x, n, conf.level = conf.level, ...)
         res <- if (is.null(res))
             res.lrt
         else rbind(res, res.lrt)
     }

       Then check the help page for "binom.lrt".  That includes the
following:

Confidence intervals are based on profiling the binomial deviance in the
neighbourhood of the MLE. If x == 0 or x == n and bayes is TRUE, then a
Bayesian adjustment is made to move the log-likelihood function away
from Inf. Specifically, these values are replaced by (x + 0.5)/(n + 1),
which is the posterier mode of f(p|x) using Jeffrey's prior on p.
Furthermore, if conf.adj is TRUE, then the upper (or lower) bound uses a
1 - alpha confidence level. Typically, the observed mean will not be
inside the estimated confidence interval. If bayes is FALSE, then the
Clopper-Pearson exact method is used on the endpoints. This tends to
make confidence intervals at the end too conservative, though the
observed mean is guaranteed to be within the estimated confidence limits.

       Spencer