[R] Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Fri Sep 21 08:46:27 CEST 2018

    > Hi Andrew,
    > I don't have any experience in this area but I was intrigued by your
    > question. Here is what I learned.

    > 1, A bit of poking around turned up a thread on stats.stackexchange that
    > mentions that "smallest space analysis" (SSA) is a special case of
    > "multidimensional scaling" (MDS).
    > See the thread here:
    > https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/82462/guttmans-smallest-space-analysis

    > 2. The R package SMACOF implements some solutions for MDS. See the
    > documentation "Multidimensional Scaling in R: SMACOF" available at
    > https://mran.microsoft.com/snapshot/2018-05-13/web/packages/smacof/vignettes/smacof.pdf

Well, but MDS  is "old" and already available in standard R in
its classical form:

> apropos("MDS")
[1] "cmdscale"
> ?cmdscale  # "Classical Multidimensional Scaling"

then gives the help page for 'cmdscale' which in its 'See Also:'
mentions the

	isomds()
	sammon()

functions from package MASS which (as formally "Recommended"
pkg) is part of every full R installation.

So, at first, there's no need for any extra package...