[R] Smallest Space Analysis (SSA) in R

Michael Friendly |r|end|y @end|ng |rom yorku@c@
Sun Sep 23 16:22:58 CEST 2018

On 9/22/2018 6:49 AM, Andrew wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> This looks like it could be really helpful in moving my project forwards
> thank you.
>
> I remember many years ago using (proprietary) software from the
> University of Liverpool which did a nice job of allowing regions to be
> defined, and then for the space to be rotated to obtain visual
> inspection of relative distance from different angles. I appreciate that
> smacof will not do that, but as long as the analysis allows for the
> graph to be plotted and analysed, that's what's important.

You need not rely on the plots provided directly by a given package.
Just roll your own using standard plotting libraries.
Here is just the first Google hit on "R MDS 3D plot"

http://omnilogia.blogspot.com/2014/05/basic-2d-3d-multi-dimensional-scaling.html

which shows a rotating 3D plot, colored by a grouping variable.  Here is
another:

http://whatzcookinlab.blogspot.com/2013/05/spinning-3d-mds-plot.html

The vegan and ade4 packages also have a variety of plots and related
methods.

-Michael