[R] Debugging Rmarkdown

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Thu Apr 18 14:13:24 CEST 2019

Dear Patrick,

This is not easy to debug without a reprex

I would check the content of zzz and wide.i in the loop

 zzz <- rbind(zzz, wide.i)

Note that the Rmd always runs in a clean environment. This might explain
the difference

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more
than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say
what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The plural of anecdote is not data. ~ Roger Brinner
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not
ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey


Op do 18 apr. 2019 om 11:53 schreef Patrick Connolly <
p_connolly using slingshot.co.nz>:

> I have a function that works in ESS, but it fails if I include it in
> an .Rmd file that I tried to knit using Rstudio.  I found advice at:
> https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/release-notes/debugging-with-rstudio/
> It seems to be not referring to markdown files.  Somewhere else
> suggested calling render() in the console pane.  I tried that.  The
> browser() function interrupts correctly, but I can't find out what the
> object zzz in the code below looks like.  Nothing prints the way it
> would in a "normal" R buffer.
> code outline:  making zzz out of two dataframes xx and yy
> ##
>     zzz <- NULL
>     for(i in xx$Sample){
>         raw.i <- <stuff>
>         etc. etc.
>         zzz <- rbind(zzz, wide.i)
> }
>    browser()
>     names(zzz) <- c("Cultivar", "Test", "Change")
> That line fails, with a complaint about zzz being NULL.
> It appears as though the rbind doesn't do anything, but I can't see
> what wide.i looks like to get an idea what could be the cause.
> Ideas what I should try are welcome.  I have no idea why the code
> works in an R environment but not an Rmd one.
> R-3.5.2,
> platform       x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> arch           x86_64
> os             linux-gnu
> system         x86_64, linux-gnu
> Rstudio Version 1.1.383
> --
> ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
>    ___    Patrick Connolly
>  {~._.~}                   Great minds discuss ideas
>  _( Y )_                 Average minds discuss events
> (:_~*~_:)                  Small minds discuss people
>  (_)-(_)                              ..... Eleanor Roosevelt
> ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
> ______________________________________________
> R-help using r-project.org mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and more, see
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> PLEASE do read the posting guide
> http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

More information about the R-help mailing list